Tuesday, April 10, 2012

[jules' pics] new camera!

Just a BMW
Only a shiny BMW worshipping at St Arbucks for Easter weekend. But taken with a smart new camera!

On Good Friday I finally got so fed up with my Sony TX10 that I went out and bought a Canon S100. To a country bumpkin like me, it is quite a thrill to buy consumer electronics after 9pm. Even better, you just walk in to the store, say you want to buy something, and no matter how expensive it is, they run and get it, you hand over the cash and walk out with your new purchase, all done within a couple of minutes. In that time you can turn down the extended warranty with a single word, and the staff have checked you have the required accessories. Maybe the UK has improved in the last decade but it was never so easy there.

What was wrong with the TX10? Well it failed at its main task of being a fast point and shoot, because the touch screen would freeze up, often just after the camera was switched on. Yes you could still take a photo, but only in the same mode you used last time. The S100 is in theory probably a bit slower to switch on and snap with, but in practice it is much less frustrating to use (so far). I kind of wish it was a Sony so retained the great handheld twiglet, freeze motion, panorama and HDR modes, but you can't have everything it seems... Tempted by the NEX7, which has all those modes plus great image quality but it is twice the price and not so pocketable. The S100 is not waterproof like the TX10, but as James argued, the TX5 (the TX10's predecessor, which did not have the touchscreen issue) broke within a year anyway, so what value the "rugged" label? Perhaps I should try to get that TX5 repaired... I think it did a better job than the TX10.

--
Posted By Blogger to jules' pics at 4/10/2012 10:47:00 AM

6 comments:

Carl C said...

I also recently got a Canon S100 and it's a great little camera. I had a Sony NEX-7 and didn't like it - I found it to be a "dust magnet" - upon switching lenses (and I'm careful) my blue skies all had blobs of dust. Also I found it ergonomically odd - this little body but with huge lenses on it so it just flops down. So now I use my Pentax K-5 DSLR for "serious" stuff and the S100 to carry all around.

David B. Benson said...

But are you prepared for a 10 meter tsunami?

Carl C said...

for tsunami photos I'd suggest the Pentax WG-2 with GPS: waterproof - shockproof - crushproof

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842475-REG/Pentax_15441_Optio_WG_2_Digital_Camera.html

jules said...

Carl C: Can you not just blow the dust off the sensor of the NEX7 with a blower? I'm a bit dubious about spending that much on anything Sony - they seem to only expect their products to last 12 months. Whereas its very hard work trying to destroy a Nikon DSLR, even one supposedly not weatherproof, like my D90... it appears to be indestructable.

I do still have the TX10 for tsunami photos, although whether I will have it with me is another matter...

Carl C said...

I didn't have a blower handy as I was on a long cliff hike in southern Cal, but the dust (sand probably) was very persistent and all of my beautiful pics had big blue blobs, which was sad. I've heard of others with this probably so either the NEX7 sensor makes a dust-attracting field, or their dust shaking is not very good.

I've never had this problem with my Pentax DSLR so they must have a good system. I finally had to get a web sensor swab cleaner. I think you're right about Sony making stuff that gets replaced every year. I hope the NEX7 designers are all getting laid off! The NEX-5n may be a good option if you don't mind not having a viewfinder.

jules said...

Unlike the NEX7 "mirrorless", the DSLR has a mirror infront of the sensor so it is less exposed when you take off the lens.