Monday, November 16, 2009

[jules' pics] 11/15/2009 11:41:00 PM


shichi-go-san 七五三, originally uploaded by julesberry2001.

Commissioned by Steve to disambiguate kiddy kimonos, here's a 3 year old girl.

Yesterday, 7-5-3 festival day, I stood inconspicuously with my long lens along with the other inconspicuous men with inconspicuous long lenses, at the foto-place at the foot of the stairs by the bandstand, and we all took pics of happy families. It is quite entertaining. Basically the child is charged with climbing a large staircase wearing expensively rented constricting clothes and shoes it is impossible to walk in. Luckily parents are allowed to help. Despite all this it was smiles all round and I saw not a single tear or tantrum. Japanese kiddywinks are the best!

Then, most bafflingly, as we stood there surrounded by beautiful people in lovely kimono, one of the inconspicuous photographers came up and asked me (dressed in tatty jeans and drab jacket) to pose for him! Hmmm.. seems that I will never be an inconspicuous photographer after all...



--
Posted By jules to jules' pics at 11/15/2009 11:41:00 PM

3 comments:

Steve Bloom said...

And matching lipstick! Not that there's anything wrong with that, as here in the U.S. I don't think it's uncommon for girls that age to get way more make-up, up to and including full foundations.

The hairdo looks reasonably authentic to my inexpert eyes, but that raises the question of why boys don't get the same. Double standard?

Steve Bloom said...

No, I spoke too soon, the hairdo doesn't look authentic. I suppose longer hair is required for the real thing.

jules said...

Steve: Whatever do you mean by "authentic"? Of course the tiny child is authentic!