Wednesday, November 11, 2009

[jules' pics] 11/10/2009 07:51:00 PM


disaster training, originally uploaded by julesberry2001.

This year disaster training had to be postponed at the last minute due to a disaster; a typhoon was directly overhead. Luckily the replacement day was 20C and sunny. For the first time this year there was a 10 second count-down to the pretend earthquake. I do hope we will get one of those for the real thing. Then there will be time to grab my helmet and sit cuddling my Mac Pro under my desk. Really I just like any socially acceptable excuse to cuddle my Mac Pro.



--
Posted By jules to jules' pics at 11/10/2009 07:51:00 PM

2 comments:

C W Magee said...

Using a ballpark 8 km/sec P wave, in order to get a 10 sec warning time you need the epicentre about 80 km away, assuming there's an automated seismometer at ground zero.

Of course, the P wave won't knock you down, so for surface wave arrivals you might get 10 seconds for something a half to a third that distance.

James Annan said...

Just had an earthquake overnight - no warning, it woke us up. But I don't think I'd like to be woken by blaring sirens if the system is going to give lots of false alarms.