Monday, August 10, 2009

[jules' pics] 8/09/2009 11:52:00 PM


rainbow sunset, originally uploaded by julesberry2001.

We climbed some mountains, in the minami (south) alps. My impression is that this range is more full of life than the rockier kita (northern) alps. The route was obtained in the usual way, by placing a map and a beer in front of James and seeing what shapes his mountain genius made of the paths. The result involved about 2700m up and 2700m down in 3 days, two new hyakumeizan (one of them twice). The most ingenious part was, however, the high-season overnight stop at a mountain hut shared only with about 10 others, and it wasn't James' fault that the helicopter hadn't visited for a while meaning meaning there was no dinner (although the cat was curiously fat and sleek). In addition, someone organised this spectacular sunset specially for those who ventured so far into the wilderness.

Ow, my legs hurt.

[all mtn pics taken with James' diddy lx3]



--
Posted By jules to jules' pics at 8/09/2009 11:52:00 PM

5 comments:

Hank Roberts said...

ooooooh.

If you ever decide to put up full resolution copies on a ftp or web site somewhere, please say where.

Many of your pictures deserve good quality printing, at better than screen resolution.

James Annan said...

Hmmm. I was on the point of saying "it's on flickr" but on checking the max size is only 1024x768. Not sure why that is...some of the pics are available full size.

Actually this one I am a little disappointed in myself, as I took it quickly and it is accidentally on a higher ISO number (thus noisier) than I'd have liked.

Thanks for the comment!

jules said...

If you click on the photo it should take you to the flickr page for the photo where you can download various sizes. Up until about a week ago I was putting up the full size images (so you can still download many of the images from my blog at full size), but then I was concerned that I would break the internets with too much data, and noticed that everyone else on flickr seems to post smaller sizes only. Then I found out that there is pressure to not publish full size images from all the poor struggling professional photographers who think that images shouldn't be free ... I'm not sure what I think about that, really, but nevertheless I am now experimenting with limiting the flickr size to 1024x1024 and the result it doesn't look very different on my monitors - I really didn't think any one would notice!

Hank Roberts said...

> didn't think anyone
> would notice

Oh, but I'm not anyone (grin).

James, I noticed a review somewhere that mentioned that this camera (yes, I _am_ still drooling a bit, and it seems to be backordered everywhere) can have its default reset to limit the top ISO number it will reach automatically to, maybe 800? -- something below where it starts showing more artifacts. As I recall the writer said the image stabilization was very good so the longer exposures didn't lose more than the low ISO gained in image quality.

For Jules, hey, the first thing I do is try to zoom in for detail, and I knew there had to be more.

I'm still working through 30 years of Kodachrome slides with a Nikon slide scanner (well, I'll go back to that when I can pry it out of the hands of my inlaws who are doing _their_ slides). Those are roughly 5300x3560 images. I know why Flickr doesn't like them. But that's what FTP is for!

James Annan said...

Thanks, I do have it limited to ISO400 generally (this pic was ISO320) but it is far better at the lower end of ISO80, and I could certainly have handled a longer exposure time.

I'm very pleased with the camera, it is widely available in Japan but that means coping with Japanese menus! Panasonic is quite unusual in that respect, most electronics we buy here can have their language changed.