Thursday, February 16, 2012

[jules' pics] The Power of Eternal Life

Kenchoji
At last it has come to pass that I can just go and sit down forever under a tree in Kenchoji (pictured above), and not get thrown out of the country for doing so. Yes I have been granted permanent residency, or as the kanji (永住権)may be literally translated, the Power of Eternal Life. I had thought it was going to be merely permission to stay in Japan, but now I realise it is so much more, I don't feel half so bad about the fact it has taken an extraordinary decade and 6 months to obtain. Not a moment too soon either - our job interviews are tomorrow, so when they decide to make an example of one or both of us, we won't be immediately excommunicated.

--
Posted By Blogger to jules' pics at 2/16/2012 08:51:00 PM

10 comments:

William M. Connolley said...

Just you, or is Jules allowed to stay too?

crandles said...

That was posted by Jules.

Steve Bloom said...

Yes, just watch your deportment in that interview.

jules said...

Naturally James may stay as my spouse.

Steve Bloom said...

Well, the following post claims no problem with deportment, so that's a relief.

But if his status does become in some way dependent on yours, I begin to envision a future Empty household featuring an increasing population of elaborate electronic/optical gewgaws, or at the very least more chocolate cake per km elapsed. :)

James Annan said...

Well I did get notice of my termination just yesterday (only job not life!), but don't plan on any deportation quite yet - the current visa has some time to run, so maybe something will come up in the meantime.

crandles said...

Condolences.

William M. Connolley said...

> That was posted by Jules.

How very confusing.

> my termination just yesterday

Oops. Its a fun life in Software Engineering, if you're looking for a change :-)

Steve Bloom said...

Is the notice for real? I seem to recall some sort of ritual use of them in the past.

James Annan said...

Oh, it's very real (well, to the extent that anything in Japan is ever real).