Monday, August 08, 2011

Research linking autism to Susan Greenfield is criticised

Controversy has erupted over comments made by the leading nonentity James Annan suggesting links between the increase in Susan Greenfield's public prominence and the rise in autism.

"I'm just sitting here staring out of my window and making something up to talk about," he said.

"It could be the case that this different environment is changing the brain in an unprecedented way. It's such an important issue and I'm just putting it before people to discuss."

"I point to the increase in autism and I point to Susan Greenfield. That's all. Establishing a causal relationship is very hard but there are trends out there that we must think about. I have not said that Susan Greenfield use causes autism and I would apologise to any family who is upset by anything I have said."

He added:

"I have never, ever said that Susan Greenfield is bad for the brain. But if the environment is changing, then the brain will change to adapt. All I have ever said is, let's talk about this. Susan Greenfield has become the central iconic feature of young people's lives and to say our brains will not be affected by that is to deny our evolutionary heritage."

[That's quite enough of that - ed]

7 comments:

Jesús R. said...

I flicked through this post and I thought you were talking about Judith Curry, LoL XD

David B. Benson said...

:-)

James Annan said...

The similarities had crossed my mind too!

jules said...

That's very disheartening to link the two just cos they are both women of about 60 and mad as hatters - I thought one was supposed to recover from menopausal madness to become a wize olde women rather than an incurably silly old bat.

EliRabett said...

Ms Rabett well past 60, has been heard, only on occasion mind you, to remark that Eli played with too much mercury as a youngster.

Steve Bloom said...

I point to JAMSTEC and I point to Hawaiian shirts. All that leaves is the photos.

Antiquated Tory said...

Very nice pastiche of Private Eye, too.