Monday, March 08, 2010

[jules' pics] 3/07/2010 07:39:00 PM


bear shrine thing, originally uploaded by julesberry2001.

I don't quite know how I have managed to visit Zuisenji for 8 years and never before notice the Mrs Tiggywinkle shrine.

[for the pedants: I'm fairly sure it is supposed to be a bear not a hedgehog... Having said that, if it were Mrs Tiggywinkle it would only mean that there was more than one shrine in Kamakura sporting anime characters...
for the extra very pedants: Zuisenji is a temple (Buddhism) not a shrine (Shinto), but as Buddhism likes to blend in with local religions, it is all a bit mixed up, and some temples contain shrine-like things]



--
Posted By jules to jules' pics at 3/07/2010 07:39:00 PM

4 comments:

William M. Connolley said...

I thought garden gnomes were too kitsch for those elegant Japanese.

David B. Benson said...

Belette --- From my brief experiences in Japan, there are the elegant Japanese, the salarymen Japanese and the kitsch Japanese. Same in Germany.

James Annan said...

Didn't see many kitsch Japanese last time I was in Germany :-)

David B. Benson said...

James Annan --- Bet you didn't go to Bavaria. :-)